- United Kingdom(GBP)
- United States(USD)
- European Union(EUR)
- Hong Kong SAR China(HKD)
Description50 years after Neil Armstrong first disembarked from Apollo 11's Lunar Module (LM) "Eagle" to become the first person to set foot on the Moon, the C1 Moonglow pays respect to our sublime lunar neighbour in uniquely evocative fashion.
Although part of the C1 Grand Malvern premium dress watch family, much like the minds at NASA who safely transported Armstrong to that dusty lunar surface and back, the Moonglow is prepared to innovate. Most eye-catching is the presence of the moon on the dial - two, in fact. These 3D moons, positioned opposite from one another, are coated with Grade X1 GL C1 Super-LumiNova that emits an otherworldly 'moonglow'. Perpetually rotating thanks to Calibre JJ04, the phase of the moon is read through an aperture at 12 o'clock, while the other moon remains clouded through smoked glass.
Another impressive technical flourish exists around the outside of the Moonglow's dial. Replacing a conventional date window, a rotating ring has been coated with Grade X1 GL C1 Super-LumiNova, aside from one individual non-lumed section in red; this aligns with the current date on a lumed outer date ring, so that it can even be read on that late night stroll home.
MovementVery few things can surpass the accomplishment mankind made on 20 July, 1969, but Calibre JJ04, Christopher Ward's in-house moonphase modification, is a technological marvel in its own right.
Unlike some moonphase complications that transition once per day, JJ04 offers a more dynamic approach. Using the ETA 2836-2 as a base, the date wheel, along with its spring-loading assembly, have been stripped out and replaced by four further wheels to drive the moon disc, with two more required for the setting mechanism. The result is a smooth perpetual action that sees the moon arc gracefully across the star-filled night sky, and if kept wound, Calibre JJ04 will remain accurate to a day every 128 years.
It seems poetic that a piece of engineering as indebted to the ancient romance of the cosmos is reconciled here with the possibilities of the modern. JJ04's rotor has received a black DLC (diamond-like carbon) finish - neatly matching the Moonglow's muted dial - before being engraved with CW's twin flag pattern.
- Diameter: 40.5mm
- Height: 12.35mm
- Weight: 61g
- Calibre: ETA 2836 with 'JJ04' module
- Case: 316L stainless steel
- Water resistance: 3 ATM (30 metres)
- Vibrations: 28,800 per hour (4 Hz)
- Timing tolerance: -10/+20 seconds per day
- Lume: Super-LumiNova Grade X1 GL C1
- Lug to lug: 48.55mm
- Strap width: 20mm
- Strap colour: Black
- Swiss made
- Self-winding 25 jewel movement with 'JJ04' in-house Moonphase module
- 38 hour power reserve
- Lumed date ring with shaded section
- Diamond-like carbon (DLC) finished rotor with twin-flag engraving
- Brushed and polished marine-grade stainless steel case
- Push-down crown with twin flag motif
- Anti-reflective domed sapphire crystal
- Polished and smoked finish dial
- 3D stamped luminescent Moonphase disc visible through unique wide and curved aperture
- Raised and polished indexes
- Super-LumiNova Grade X1 GL C1 moons, hands, indexes, numerals and outer date ring
- Brushed, polished and curved steel hands
- Exhibition backplate with unique engraved serial number
- Italian Shell Cordovan strap with Bader deployment and quick-release pins for easy changing
- Eco-friendly luxurious presentation case and owner's handbook