- United Kingdom(GBP)
- United States(USD)
- European Union(EUR)
- Hong Kong SAR China(HKD)
C8 Birkin's Blower TMB Limited Edition
DescriptionThe latest collaboration between Christopher Ward and TMB Art Metal, the C8 Birkin's Blower TMB Limited Edition focuses on Sir Henry "Tim" Birkin's record-breaking accomplishments in his car, Blower No.1; a car that would be purchased by the great watchmaker George Daniels some 40 years after Birkin's death.
Visible through the C8's exhibition caseback, a piece of No.1's piston metal has been engraved with an image of Birkin commandeering his Blower around Brooklands' iconic banked track, where it set a track lap record of 137.96mph. It too has been engraved with the words ‘Brooklands Battles’, a reference to the often-perilous contests between these gentlemen and their cars. Look no further than No.1’s nickname, ‘Brooklands Battleship’; derived from when the car's exhaust set its fabric body on fire, Birkin expunged the fire mid-race - and then of course carried on driving!
The C8's dial has also been designed to replicate the Blower's rev counter; a minute track runs around the outside, while its interior set of numbers reflects the engine's number of revolutions per minute (rather than miles per hour). Two screws applied to the dial supply a historical feel, while the white SuperLumiNova® applied to the C8's minute numerals and hands ensure excellent legibility in all lighting conditions. A 44mm diamond-like carbon (DLC) coated case means the C8 Birkin's Blower will always maintain an impressive presence, while its 'No.1' prototype number has been stamped onto its well-sized crown.
Although newer and faster models would overtake it, the Bentley Blower No.1 still found a way to set world records. After Daniels' passing in 2011, it became the most expensive British car ever when it sold at auction at the 2012 Goodwood Festival of Speed (for the sum of £5,042,000, in case you were wondering). The C8 Birkin's Blower TMB Limited Edition is our tribute to the character and brilliance of the Blower No.1, and, in Birkin, the fearless man who drove it.
MovementReleased in 2015, the hand-wound version of our own movement is every bit as impressive as its automatic cousin. Thanks to its twin barrels, Calibre SH21 will deliver 120 hours of chronometer-certified timekeeping when fully wound.
To put it another way, and with a little more historical context: 50 Blowers were originally commissioned due to that number being the minimum required to partake in the famous 24 Hours of Le Mans endurance race; a fully wound Calibre SH21 could last the race five times over. It provides the perfect engine to keep the C8 Birkin's Blower TMB Limited Edition in front of the competition.
- Diameter: 44mm
- Height: 11.7mm
- Weight: 81g
- Calibre: SH21 hand-wound chronometer
- Case: 316L stainless steel
- Vibrations: 28,800 per hour
- Timing tolerance: -4/+6 seconds per day
- Water resistance: 5 ATM (50 metres)
- Dial colour: Black
- Lume: SuperLumiNova® SLN-T-C1
- Strap width: 22mm
- Leather strap colour: Camel with red underside
- Additional canvas strap colour: Khaki
- Lug to Lug: 53.2mm
- Special limited edition of 90 pieces
- Swiss made
- Disc of Bentley Blower No.1 precious metal with 'Brooklands Battles' engraving embedded into exhibition backplate
- In-house Calibre SH21 hand-wound chronometer (27 jewels)
- 120 hour power reserve
- Marine-grade, sandblasted black DLC steel case
- Museum grade anti-reflective sapphire crystal
- Original Blower No.1 instrument panel inspired dial with applied screw detailing
- Blower No.1 rev counter-influenced hands and markings coated with SLN TC-1 SuperLumiNova®
- Crown stamped with Blower 'No.1' graphic
- Vintage oak leather strap with black DLC sandblasted clasp
- Additional premium quality canvas webbing strap with DLC sandblasted clasp included
- Unique engraved individual serial number
- Luxury presentation case and owner's handbook with signed Certificate of Provenance