The ocean has inspired horology for centuries.

From the first global navigators to today’s extreme divers, accurate timing has always been integral to the safety of those who explore the sea. In England, 18th-century clockmaker John Harrison is still revered for his ‘marine chronometer’ clocks which enabled mariners to accurately calculate their longitudinal position for the first time.

So it’s appropriate that Christopher Ward is now supporting a charity, Blue Marine Foundation (also known as ‘BLUE’), which seeks to protect the oceans by combatting over-fishing.

And it’s doing so with the launch of a stunning new dive watch, the C60 BLUE Limited Edition.

One of Christopher Ward’s key values is encouraging sustainability – as its eco-packaging shows – so the partnership is a natural next step, especially as the core of CW’s collection is dive watches. Limited to just 500 models, the C60 BLUE has been designed in conjunction with Blue Marine Foundation – and is a fitting tribute to its work and the seas it nurtures.

The organisation was founded in 2010, and that year brokered a deal to enable the creation of a vast ‘marine protected area’ (MPA) around the Chagos islands, funded by the Bertarelli Foundation. Since then, it’s overseen a variety of projects: from helping to secure a commitment from the UK government to protect four million square kilometres of ocean around the UK’s overseas territories to leading efforts to save the yellowfin tuna stock from collapse.

The ultimate goal for BLUE is to see 30 percent of the world’s oceans under protection by 2030, with the remaining 70 percent managed responsibly.

Christopher Ward’s support for BLUE began in 2019 when it donated five percent of proceeds from six best-selling models. Now, to mark the charity’s 10th birthday, it aims to contribute more than £200,000 through sales of the C60 BLUE.

Photo credit: Danny Copeland

Charles Clover, executive director of BLUE says, “In the last 10 years, BLUE has become a driving force in the mission to create a healthy ocean. As the world moves towards protecting 30 percent of the ocean by 2030, the decade ahead could not be more critical. We’re deeply grateful to Christopher Ward for marking our 10th anniversary with this exquisite watch; donations from its sale will help us achieve our mission to restore the ocean to health, starting with a network of marine parks around the British Isles.”

Mike France, Christopher Ward CEO says: “I live part of the year in a house by the sea, so have an affinity with, and understanding of, what BLUE is trying to achieve. When the idea of a watch designed with BLUE was suggested, we jumped at the chance.”

The watch is beautiful to behold. Its transparent sapphire dial is inspired by BLUE’s ‘wave’ logo and lets you see into the Swiss automatic movement from the front. At the same time, the charity’s emblem has been deep-stamped into the caseback. For those who want to embrace the eco spirit, the ultra-smart #tide ocean material® strap, made entirely from recycled ocean plastic, is seriously worth looking at.

Engineered to the exacting standards of the C60 Trident Pro (it’s water-resistant to 600m), the C60 BLUE is a professional diving instrument that’s breathtaking in its beauty, craft and engineering. The fact that it’ll help in the fight to preserve our precious seas makes it all the more special.

The C60 BLUE is available now from £895 / $1,025 / €1,000

Find out about Blue Marine Foundation here.

Related watches

40mm   Blue   Automatic   Blue #tide ocean material®  
$1,025.00
40mm   Blue   Automatic   Black hybrid  
$1,025.00
40mm   Blue   Automatic   Brushed steel  
$1,145.00
40mm   Blue   Automatic   Blue hybrid  
$1,025.00