How we’re supporting those fighting to preserve the planet and its people
Christopher Ward has always had a simple mission: to put premium mechanical watches within reach of as many people as possible.
We believe being a successful business transcends making products our customers love. We want a business that considers carefully the impact our products and activities have on people and the environment.
Many of our bestselling watches are inspired by the lands, seas and skies that explorers have dared to venture into: from deep-sea divers and submariners to Arctic adventurers and long-distance cyclists.
To date we’ve donated over £400,000 to charities and organisations including Blue Marine Foundation, the David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation and the International Red Cross that seek to preserve our planet,
alleviate the suffering of those displaced by war and offer opportunities to those who would typically be overlooked.
But that’s only the start.
From 2022, we are committing to donate a substantial percentage of our annual profits to existing and new charity partners.
And we’re not stopping there.
Innovation is at the core of everything we do. Now we’re using it to make our business as planet-friendly as possible. Each CW watch box is EVA foam-free and made from 95 percent biodegradable materials, while our sleek #tide straps are produced from 100 percent recycled plastic.. We’re also looking at how to make our shipping and postal services more environmentally-friendly.
We’re not perfect by any means. But little by little, we’re trying to make a difference.
David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation (DSWF) is dedicated to preserving the world’s most endangered species and the habitats that support them. In 2020, we launched the C60 Anthropocene GMT with DSWF – with five percent of proceeds going to the charity. So far, the watch has raised over £16,000 for DSWF’s snow leopard preservation projects in Mongolia and Kyrgyzstan.
Blue Marine Foundation is a charity which seeks to protect the oceans by combating overfishing. It was launched in 2010 to see 30 percent of the world’s oceans under protection by 2030, with the remaining 70 percent managed responsibly. Christopher Ward has raised over £250,000 for Blue Marine with sales from the C60 BLUE dive watch, #tide straps, and the Aquitaine collection.
Christopher Ward is the official timing partner of Team BRIT, a racing team that trains people with disabilities to become racing drivers. The Team was formed in 2015 to support and inspire people facing physical and psychological challenges by demonstrating what can be achieved through motorsport, with the ultimate aim of competing at 24 Hours of Le Mans. Currently, the squad is competing in three championships, including the elite British GT.
Every year, eight million tonnes of plastic are dumped into the sea. This is unsustainable. That’s why we’ve partnered with #tide ocean material®, a social business that upcycles ocean plastic into a material that can be used in watches. Our range of #tide straps raises money for Blue Marine Foundation, while the C60 #tide dive watch uses #tide material on its backplate and crown.
Everton in the Community supports initiatives that “motivate, educate and inspire people in our local communities to improve their quality of life and opportunities”. As part of our sponsorship of Everton FC, we’re working with EITC to give money-can’t-buy experiences for Blues fans and those in need.
Located near CW’s HQ in Maidenhead, Alexander Devine Children's Hospice Service “provides specialist care and support to children with life-limiting and life-threatening conditions, and their families”. We’re humbled to be able to support such an inspirational organisation.
Sign up to Loupe magazine
Loupe is Christopher Ward’s quarterly in-house magazine. If you want to know what’s happening at CW (and you love great journalism), this is where to start. Alternatively, you can read all our back issues on your computer, tablet or phone.Order your free copy
Read Loupe online